Glass Onion (Southie Style): Details Behind Why Slain Boston Irish Mob Boss Whitey Bulger Was Moved To Particular USP Hazelton Unit Emerges

December 9, 2022 — A prison employee at the notoriously dangerous USP Hazelton correctional facility specifically requested famously disgraced Boston Irish crime lord James (Whitey) Bulger be transferred into his unit despite knowing that his unit contained New England mob figures who might want to do him harm, according to the Justice Department’s Inspector General’s recent report on the missteps surrounding Bulger’s 2018 slaying less than 12 hours after arriving on the compound.

Whitey Bulger was outed as an FBI confidential informant in the 1990s. He had been doing his time in a protective-custody wing of a Florida penitentiary until he was shipped out for the verbal abuse of prison medical staff.

Bulger, 89, was beaten to death with metal padlocks, his eyes gouged out and his tongue cut out of his mouth, on the morning of October 30, 2018, inside his cell at USP Hazelton. Prisoners were made aware of Bulger’s pending arrival from loose-lipped prison personnel and they were having betting pools on how long the elderly former mob boss would last alive in a facility known for housing hardened felons from the New England area, according to the Inspector General’s report.

The report found no malicious intent on the prison staff’s part, however, pointed out a multitude of negligent conduct on how the Bulger transfer was handled and carried out. Back in the summer, New Englanders Freddy Geas, Paulie DeCologero and Sean McKinnon were charged in Bulger’s first-degree homicide, following a laborious near four-year investigation during which Geas, the reputed ringleader of the conspiracy, spent in solitary confinement.

Whitey Bulger ruled Boston’s Irish underworld from his Southie headquarters from the early 1970s until his indictment in 1995, when he took off and lived as a fugitive of justice for 16 years. Bulger’s status as a rat was confirmed in court filings and indictments of federal agents while he was on the run. Finally detained living in Los Angeles in the spring of 2011, Bulger was found guilty of multiple gangland homicides at trial and sentenced to life behind bars.

Geas, 55, and DeCologero, 48, are both already serving prison time for murders. McKinnon, 36, was doing a short sentence for a gun crime at the time of Bulger’s killing and is alleged to have acted as a lookout as, according to prosecutors, Geas and DeCologero went into Bulger’s cell and crushed in his skull and mutilated his corpse. All three co-defendants have pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Geas was an enforcer for the Italian mafia in Springfield, Massachusetts – a longtime satellite franchise of New York’s Genovese crime family. DeCologero was a member of his uncle, “Big Paulie” DeCologero’s mob crew on Boston’s North Shore. Bulger framed a close friend of Geas’ for a murder he didn’t commit in the 1980s.

This article was originally posted here