First “Big Meech” Left Monster Legacy In Detroit Dope Game, Shot Dead 30 Years Ago Inside Clothier

October 22, 2020 – The original “Big Meech,” legendary Detroit drug lord Demetrius Holloway, was slain 30 years ago this month in one of the Motor City’s most sensational homicides, a gangland hit most historians point to as the official end to the crack era in the D.

Black Mafia Family boss Demetrius (Big Meech) Flenory, born and raised in Detroit and the country’s most notorious dope boss of the last three decades, is alleged to have taken his nickname from Holloway, who was the king of the coke game in Motown during the late 1980s. Flenory has been in prison since 2005. 

The sly and fastidious 32-year old Holloway was gunned down inside The Broadway, a hip urban clothier in downtown Detroit, on October 8, 1990. At the time of his murder, Holloway was under assault on multiple fronts; the government was on the verge of dropping a racketeering indictment and he was said to be at war with at least three separate crime factions.

Low-level drug world players, Lester (Little Les) Milton and Tommy (Toe Tag) Milton, wound up being convicted for carrying out the Holloway slaying. The Milton brothers were tied to a group of eastside drug dealers and extortionists headed by Wayman (World Benji) Kincaid, the reputed No. 1 shot-caller for the entire non-Muslim Black prison population in Michigan.

Kincaid was locked up for a murder he committed as a teenager in 1975. Both Kincaid and Holloway were schooled in street affairs as youngsters on Detroit’s eastside by the old Murder Row crew. Murder Row imploded in the early 1980s in the aftermath of the Michigan Federated Democratic Social Club Massacre and the beheadings of two members and a member’s girlfriend. 

In April 1980, Holloway went to federal prison for a robbery conviction and came out in 1985 ready for action. Within a matter of months, Holloway built a mammoth wholesale cocaine operation with reach into every nook and cranny in the state of Michigan. The multi-tiered organization would grow even bigger.  Holloway’s drug empire was vertically integrated and cloaked in a web of shell companies, real estate holdings and offshore-banking protections. At his peak, DEA records estimate he was moving 200 kilos per week across the Midwest.

He teamed with his childhood best friend, Richard (Maserati Rick) Carter, to expand his territory and make contacts in the entertainment and pro sports scenes. He recruited the four towering and brutish Brown brothers (“Rocking Reggie,” “Boogaloo,” “Ghost,” & “Wizard,”) and their “Best Friends” crew to be his enforcement wing. His headquarters was the Chalk & Cue pool hall on Seven Mile and he opened up a chain of shoe and sportswear apparel stores called “The Sports Jam,” which Foot Locker was considering purchasing for tens of millions of dollars at the time of his death.

A private jet on standby, Holloway frequently went on lavish gambling-spree weekends in Las Vegas and Atlantic City. Him and Maserati Rick were childhood friends with pro-boxing champion Tommy Hearns and would travel with him to fights. The Detroit Police Department considered him the No. 1 dope boss in the city at the height of the crack epidemic.

Holloway’s kingdom of cocaine began showing cracks by late 1986, as the Brown brothers branched out from muscle work to wholesale distribution and declared war on their former boss. Ghost and Wizard Brown were killed within days of each other in December 1986.

Around that same time, Maserati Rick Carter got himself and Holloway entangled in a beef with Eastside drug chief Edward (Big Ed) Hanserd, a one-time customer of the pair turned competitor with a supply line out of California. Carter is shockingly shot to death in his hospital bed on September 12, 1988 and in the weeks that followed, Holloway staged his own kidnapping outside a fast-food burger joint and went into hiding.

FBI records allege Holloway was feuding with Benji Kincaid at this time too. Kincaid, according to the records, felt entitled to a piece of Holloway’s profits because his connections in the dope game got Holloway on his feet after his release from prison three years earlier.

On the afternoon of October 8, 1990, Little Les Milton went into the Broadway clothing store and shot Holloway in the back of the head as he was purchasing a pair of designer Ralph Lauren socks at the front counter. Milton snapped his fingers, exclaimed “Got’em” and calmly walked out of the store whistling. Tommy Milton was waiting on the corner outside in a BMW to whisk him away from the scene. They were convicted of the hit a decade later.

Kincaid had allegedly employed the Milton brothers for extortion duties on his behalf in the past, FBI records contend. The 63-year old World Benji came out of prison briefly in 2017, but was locked up for a parole violation shortly thereafter.

This article was originally posted here